Whether you're keen to follow the trends with baby names, or if you're desperate to know what everyone else is calling their newborns so your child won't be one of five in a class with the same name, it's always interesting to take a look at what the most popular baby names for boys and girls are set to be in the UK this year, in 2021. Choosing the perfect name is a big task. It will be with them for the rest of their lives and will become a big part of their identity – no pressure right!? But don’t worry, you’re in luck. We have rounded up the top baby name trends for 2021 to make sure you’re ahead of the curve and to help you with the decision-making process. Keep reading for the perfect 2021 baby name inspiration...
Here to stay...
There are those special names that top the popular names list year after year and we don’t see these names going anywhere in 2021.
- Amelia - name of German origin meaning "work".
- Olivia - girl's name of Latin origin meaning "olive tree".
- Charlotte - girl's name of French origin meaning "free man".
- Harry - German origin meaning "estate ruler".
- Leo - of German, Latin origin meaning "lion".
- Oliver - boy's name of Latin origin meaning "olive tree".
- Ava - Latin origin meaning "life; bird; water, island".
- Arthur - Celtic origin meaning " bear".
- Noah - boy's name of Hebrew origin meaning "rest, repose".
- Isabella - the name Isabella is a girl's name of Hebrew, Spanish, Italian origin meaning "pledged to God".
If you want to move beyond the top baby names, there are thousands of unique, uncommon, unusual, and rare names to discover-here's a few of our favourites.
- Etta -is a girl's name of English origin meaning "estate ruler".
- Cedric -boy's name of Celtic origin meaning "bounty".
- Ralph - is a boy's name of English origin meaning "wolf-counsel".
- Kadence - Kadence is a girl's name of American origin.
- Leena - Variation of Alina.
- Skylar - Skylar is a boy's name of Dutch origin meaning "scholar".
- Marcella - girl's name of Italian, Latin origin meaning "warlike".
- Dimitri - of Russian origin meaning "follower of Demeter".
- Loretta - name of English origin meaning "bay laurel".
- Seraphina - name of Hebrew origin meaning "ardent; fiery".
Trends are seeing a spike in more traditional names making a comeback in popularity as expectant parents look at decades gone by for their inspiration.
- Mabel - is an English female given name derived from the Latin amabilis, "lovable, dear".
- Albert - the name Albert is a boy's name of German origin meaning "noble, bright".
- Agnes -the name Agnes is a girl's name of Greek origin meaning "pure, virginal".
- Alfred - is of Old English origin but gaining popularity.
- Elizabeth – the name of our Royal Queen herself is a traditional name looking to have a revival in 2021.
- Elijah - It's the name of an Israelite prophet in the First and Second Books of Kings in the Bible. It has rocketed in popularity since the 1990s.
- Theodore - It is of Greek origin, and the meaning of Theodore is "God's gift". Abel- boy's name of Hebrew origin meaning "breath".
- Penelope - was first used in Greek mythology and seeing a recent spike in popularity.
- Evelyn - meaning "wished for child", has English origins and roots.
- Ada - a pretty, feminine name meaning nobility.