Mother's Day is this coming Sunday! You may just need a last minute craft activity this week for your toddler/kids and this is the perfect excuse to get crafty, creating a mini masterpiece for a Mum or grandparent in your life.
Hand made presents always go down well, but sometimes we just need a little burst of inspiration to get us started. If you’re a Mother, look away! This list of craft ideas is meant for dads and kids.
With so many ideas's out there, we’ve rounded up our favourites. Take a look below and get crafting!
Spring Cupcake Flowers
Ok, they’re not real cupcakes, but that doesn’t mean that paper flowers aren’t a super sweet gift from child to Mum. Chances are, cupcake liners are already in your house, so this craft is easier than you think it is.
What you need:
- large cupcake cases in white and yellow
- small cupcake cases in yellow and orange
- a pencil
- a glue stick
- green pipe cleaners
- sticky tape
Step 1: Flatten out one of the large cupcake cases, then fold it in half, then in half again, and one last time.
Step 2: With the scissors, cut a round shape off the top, as shown in the photo, then open out the case. You can use a pencil to mark it out first, to help you.
Step 3: Glue one of the small cupcake cases, in a contrasting colour, in to the middle of the large case.
Step 4: Stick a pipe cleaner on to the back. Finished!
This one makes the most adorable (and treasured) kid made gift ever. One that will take pride of place on your fridge for months to come!
What you need:
- non toxic washable paints for younger kids or craft paints for older kids (selection of floral colors)
- green paint
- paint & paintbrush
- white paper
Step 1: Pick your favorite colours. Have the kids either paint their hands by using a paintbrush or have them dip their palms in paint.
Step 2: Let them press down their hands on white paper (pretty hard) and then, in one swift motion remove the hand to make the handprint. Make one, two, three, four or more handprints in one or more colours in the shape of a flower.
Step 3: Draw a flower stem with green paint (or marker). Write your Mother’s day message and you're good to go!
Salt Dough Necklaces
Give Mum a one-of-a-kind Mother’s Day gift with these simple kid-made Salt Dough Necklaces. Salt dough is really inexpensive and oh so versatile and fun!
What you need:
- 1 cup Flour
- ½ cup Iodized Salt
- ½ cup Water
- Craft Paint, multi colors
- Beads, multi colours
- Small flower /star cookie cutter
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
2. Sift flour and salt into a small mixing bowl, and mix in the water until well combined. Do not add to much water, it shouldn’t be sticky.
3. Roll out the dough into about a ¼ inch thickness. Using the cookie cutter, cut out little flowers.
4. Take the end of the paintbrush and make a little hole near the top of each circle that the ribbon will go through later.
5. Bake the dough flowers for 1-1 ½ hours, or until dry and hard, but not brown.
6. Remove from the oven and let cool.
7. Paint the little flowers in different colors and patterns of your choice.
8. Let dry, and put the ribbon through the hole and thread a couple beads onto the ribbon. Tie a knot to the end to make a necklace.
Free Mothers Day colouring sheets
Grab your crayons and download one of our free Mothers Day colouring pages. You can use it as a quick Mothers Day activity, pop it on the front of a card or pop it in a frame and give it as a gift.